Question #19: Generally describe man’s pre-fall state. Provide biblical support.
Answer: In Ryrie’s words: “Adam possessed unconfirmed creature holiness.” Unconfirmed because he had neither passed nor failed the test. Creature because his holiness was not the same as the Creator’s. Holiness because he was more than innocent.
My biblical support would include that:
1. Adam was created in the image of God and the likeness of God (Gen 1:26-27).
2. God made a garden and appointed him to labor there. “And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed” (Gen 2:8). No sin yet here.
3. His other responsibilities include naming the animals and…
4. Naming Eve; both meaning his exercise of the delegated dominion over all the earth. No sin yet here. Lastly,
5. He was married. No sin yet here. Therefore we see that during man’s pre-fall state, he had responsibilities already and he even had a job, that is, as a gardener!